It’s the end of 2022; luckily, we have everything today to stay connected to our close ones. While Facebook and Instagram are popular means of communication, the Discord platform is famous among the gaming community.
People on this platform are generally very respectful and friendly, but some users can be toxic and hostile and try everything in their power to make your life hell. If you have ever come across someone like that and want to be prepared for the next time, here is a guide on how to block someone and what happens when you block someone on Discord.
Let’s take a closer look at what happens when you block someone on Discord. Will it be enough to stop getting messages from that person or not?
How to block someone on Discord?
We know you are not here to learn how to block someone on Discord. But we do consider the fact that a lot of you might need to learn how to do this in the first place. First, check this off our list for today then we will move to what happens when you block someone on Discord.
You can block anyone on Discord in two ways
- Block from the chat
This one is the simplest way to block a user on Discord. All you need to do is;
- Unlock your phone and pen the Discord app on your phone
- Log in to your account
- Find the person you want to block in the chat
- Now right-click on their username and tap ‘Block’
The person will be instantly blocked from your profile.
- Block from their profile
This is another method to block someone. While we recommend going for the first one because of the easiness, you can try this one if the previous one does not work due to some error. So here you go!
- Unlock your phone and open the Discord app
- Log in to your account by entering your credentials
- Go to the message section in the app and find the person you want to block
- Once found, click on their profile picture
- Locate the three vertical dots on the top right corner of your screen and tap
- Choose ‘Block’ from the drop-down list
Doing so will block that person from the chat.
When you block someone on Discord what happens?
Now that you know how to block someone on Discord let’s learn some aftereffects you can say, of blocking that person.
- You can no longer send messages to that person
Most people say even if you block someone on Discord, they can contact you via direct messaging, which is not true. We have personally experimented with it and can confidently say that a blocked person cannot even send you a direct message on Discord.
Once you tap that red block button, you break all your ties with that person. Even if that person tries to message you, they will all be hidden. However, you can view those messages without that person knowing. Additionally, all the calls made by that person directly will be blocked by the app.
- He/she cannot contact you via Server Text Channels
It’s possible that the person you have blocked shares one or more servers with you. Luckily, this won’t affect you in any way. Despite that connection, the person won’t be able to send you any messages. If he/she does it anyway, Discord will block those messages. You won’t even receive any notifications if that person sends you a message.
- He/she cannot contact you via Server Voice Channels
The only way left the blocked person can contact you on the platform is via server voice channels. However, we also experimented with it and concluded that blocking that person will still allow them to contact you through voice channels. But nothing to worry about because we have ways to deal with that too. You can mute them and can no longer hear from them. Here is how to do that:
- Open the server you both share
- Join the channel with the blocker person
- Right-click on their name
- Tap ‘Mute’
That’s all. Doing so will block that person from speaking to you forever. Unless, of course, you change your mind and decide to unblock o unmute them.
How to ‘Kick’ someone on Discord?
If you don’t want to take an extreme action like blocking on Discord, but at the same time don’t feel like hearing again from that person, Discord offers you an option to kick out that person from your server. While the person may join the server from another username, this can be done to deal with minor offenses. Here’s how to kick someone on Discord:
- Open your Discord profile and search for the person’s username you want to block
- Once found, right-click on the username
- A drop-down menu will unfold, select ‘kick’
- Provide the reason you want to kick that person. It’s your choice to kick them discreetly or make the reason visible to them.
If you are not sure whether you want to block a person for the annoyance they have caused, you can choose to kick them for the time being until you decide what to do with them.
How to ‘Ban’ a user on Discord
A ban on discord is a harsher step than the previous one. Once you ban a user on a discord’s server, they can never join it back with the same account. Restricting blocks that person’s IP address and phone number. So they will require a new contact number or a completely new account to be able to join your server.
If you want to ban someone on Discord, just follow the steps below,
- Open your discord account and lactate that user’s profile
- right click on their username
- Select ‘Ban’ from the drop-down list
- Provide the reason you want to ban them and you can even opt to wipe out any history messages with them.
By doing this, you can permanently ban someone from your Discord server. Make sure you only choose this option when you are very much sure that you don’t want to hear from that person ever again.
Indeed, Discord is an outstanding platform for gamers, especially as it gives them much control over their actions compared to other social media apps. You can connect to your like-minded community, host conversations, and calls, and promote your project; however, since not everyone is like you on the platform, wise and welcoming and may spam or annoy you to creep you out. For this reason, you can ban, block, or kick them from your servers. If you are currently dealing with one such person, follow the above instruction to get rid of that person at once and for all.