On Thursday, the Santa Fe County district attorney has scheduled to make an announcement regarding whether or not her office will be taking legal action in connection with the shooting death of Halyna Hutchins. Hutchins was a cinematographer who was killed on the set of the movie Rust last year when a gun that was in the hand of actor Alec Baldwin fired.
On Thursday at eleven o’clock in the morning, the decision will be announced in a written statement by Mary Carmack-Altwies, the New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney and Andrea Reeb, the special prosecutor.
In September, the New Mexico Board of Finance awarded the District Attorney’s Office more than $300,000 to be used to potentially prosecute up to four people related to Hutchins’ death. Within the request for the funds, it was stated that “one of the possible defendants is well known movie actor Alec Baldwin.”
Baldwin, an actor and producer of the film, was holding the gun when it fired, despite the fact that he claims he did not pull the trigger. The investigation has also focused on assistant director Dave Halls, who is said to have told Baldwin the gun was safe to use, Seth Kenney, the supplier of ammunition, and Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the production’s armorer. On October 21, 2021, Hutchins was shot and died on site while a rehearsal for “Rust” was taking place. Empty shells or fake rounds were meant to be loaded into the firearms instead of real bullets, and live ammunition was not supposed to be present anywhere on the set. But when Baldwin pulled the trigger on the revolver, Hutchins was wounded in the chest, and director Joel Souza was hit in the shoulder and injured. The production was immediately halted while the authorities conducted their investigation