One man died after falling 1000ft down from Ben Nevis in a trek, while 23 others injured have been rescued in ‘ferocious’ conditions after 8 hours of search operation in the mountainous region in Scotland.

“A 28 year-old man has died after falling about 300 metres (1,000ft) down the west side of Ben Nevis, and 23 others helping the rescue in “ferocious” conditions had to be air-lifted in an eight-hour operation on our highest mountain. 40 rescuers went to their aid,” Tweeted Grouse Beater.

On Tuesday, Lochaber and Glencoe’s Mountain rescue team responded to an emergency call at around 2:15 and were immediately headed to Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in Scotland and the British Isles.

Allegedly, the 28-year-old man fell from an icy slope on the west side of the mountainous region of Ben Nevis before the rescue team climbed to save him and suffered minor injuries.

“A small number of soldiers provided support to stranded walkers on Ben Nevis on Tuesday. They assisted the party until emergency and mountain rescue services were able to reach them,” said an army representative.

The group of 23 people, including 6 military personnel, were believed to have either walked off the hill with the help of rescuers or were airlifted by coastguards from the 1,345-meter-high mountain.

The 28-year-old was the sixth person who got killed in the Scottish mountains in the last few weeks, Scotland police reported. Search for a person who was reported missing on Wednesday is still in progress.

“The conditions on the mountain were classic alpine: springlike in the glen, but above the snow line everything is solid and an ice axe and crampons are essential, and knowing how to use them,” told deputy leader of the Lochaber team, Donald Paterson.

“This chap had fallen, conservatively, about 300 metres. Then others went to help him and they, too, ended up in trouble. One had a broken ankle and another multiple abrasion. As the night wore on, the conditions got worse.

Members of the party could have been better prepared for the conditions. We would like to express our condolences to the deceased’s family and friends,” he added.

Glencoe mountain rescue team lead, Brian Bathurst, called the situation at Ben Nevis, ‘Ferocious‘. “The snow fields are glazed over with ice and are quite lethal. One slip and you will go a long way,” said Bathurst. “The conditions last night were very difficult. As well as the ice, there were very strong winds and rain. The helicopters did an amazing job.” The 6 people military group is believed to belong to Edinburgh. It is yet to be determined whether the 28-year-old individual was also a member of their team.