New York – An early morning mass shooting incident in the Harlem area left 1 dead and injured 8 others.

According to the police, nine people were shot brutally, out of which one succumbed to death in a mass shooting incident that occurred in the wee hours of Monday.

The New York Police Department Commissioner Keechant Sewell stated “the emboldened individuals responsible for this are exactly who our officers are battling every day to make our cities safe.”

The police stated that multiple people being shot was reported in the area of 5th Avenue and East 139th street sometime around 12:30 a.m. Police reported to the area where five people were found wounded on the footpath with gunshots just along the area of FDR highway which is near the Madison Avenue Bridge.

The New York Police Department Chief Brian McGee who is the commanding officer at the Manhattan North said that the five victims were immediately transferred to the hospital with the help of EMS, whereas, the remaining four victims were taken to other hospitals through other ways. The victims were two women and seven men.

A 21-year-old man was shifted to Lincoln hospital in critical condition but was pronounced dead. The other eight victims have been shot below the torso, and braised on the back or leg but are expected to live. The name of the deceased was not released by the police.

McGee stated that the police are also looking at the circumstances in which the gunshots erupted. There was a gathering nearby where a barbeque was happening when the gunshots were fired.

A handgun was recovered from the crime scene by the police. The investigators are still on their toes to find out if the mass shooting was conducted by multiple guns.

The cause of the gunfire eruption is still unknown. The police have not determined whether there was a single gunman or more who fired the gunshots. The descriptions of the suspect are not released yet

The mass shooting incident in Harlem took place just 24 hours after another deadly shooting incident at the Ozone Park, Queens which involved a semi-automatic rifle killing a man and wounding 2 others.