American student Catherine Serou had been missing since last week; her body was found in the region of Nizhny Novgorod. A suspect was arrested concerning the murder of an American student as per reports by the local court.

Catherine Serou was a student at the State University of Nizhny Novgorod, a small town near Moscow, and had gone missing last week. The court allegedly detained a suspect who was the last person seen with Serou.

According to the Gorodetsky city court, the suspect picked up Catherine in his car in the late hours of Tuesday evening on June 15 and about an hour later – killed her.

The suspect saw the victim at a bus stop and offered her a ride around 7 pm local time. He stopped at a deserted area where they both got into an argument resulting in the suspect hitting the victim several times before stabbing her with a knife and leaving her at the spot to die.

The victim succumbed to her fatal injuries at the crime scene.

The embassy of the United States of America in Moscow confirmed the death of Catherine Serou by releasing an official statement, “We offer our sincerest condolences to the family on their loss. We are closely monitoring local authorities’ investigation into the cause of death. We are providing all the appropriate assistance to the family.”

The investigative committee of Russia also stated in a statement that a foreign citizen who went missing last week has been found dead. The statement did not use the name of Serou or her national identity.

According to the mother of the victim, Serou left her place on June 15th and got into an unidentified vehicle to head in the direction of Rekshino village which is in the Borsky district of Nizhny Novgorod.

The identity of the suspect has not been revealed but it is stated that the suspect was around 45 years old and had been convicted in the past also for repeated “grave crimes”. The suspect is said to be cooperating with the authorities.

Catherine’s mother Beccy Webb Serou posted on Facebook that unfortunately Catherine’s body has been found and the family is processing to deal with this devastating news, therefore, they need time and privacy to deal with it.

According to the city-county, the suspect has been detained till 15th august for a murder. No information was released whether the suspect entered a plea against the case or not.