A 21-year-old student of Michigan State University died after an incident at an off-campus frat home, prompting the school to ban a fraternity he had joined as authorities investigate if alcohol played a part in the tragedy.
At 2 a.m. on Saturday, officers found the student, Phat Nguyen, unconscious at a residence.
According to a statement from the East Lansing Police Department, four people were discovered passed out inside the apartment, including Nguyen, who was unconscious and not breathing.
Despite CPR efforts by police and East Lansing firemen, Nguyen was declared dead at the site and did not recover consciousness.
According to a police statement, alcohol use may have been a factor in this instance in the death of the Michigan State University student.
The three other people discovered passed out at the Pi Alpha Phi fraternity house in Lansing were transferred to Sparrow Hospital, where they were treated and then released.
The authorities say that the findings of toxicological tests conducted as part of an autopsy are pending.
A university official has said that they are very sorry for the friends and family of the student.
Dan Olsan, the spokesperson for the university, has said that this means the Pi Alpha Phi chapter must stop recruiting new members and cannot hold campus-related activities. He further added that university authorities are still investigating the incident.
The national board has announced that the Michigan State University chapter of Pi Alpha Phi has been put under temporary suspension awaiting inquiry after the demise of a student member this weekend.
After the Pi Alpha Phi chapter listed Nguyen on their FB page as one of four new members, he died the next day.
Stay connected with us to get the latest update on the news.