There are a variety of reasons why you may want to know how to unpair an Apple Watch from your iPhone. The reasons could be upgrading to the latest model or selling the iPhone or Apple Watch.
Regardless of the cause, with this post, you will know how to unpair Apple Watch easily from its associated iPhone, even when you have no access to the iPhone Watch or iPhone anymore.
So, let’s get started on how you can do it!
How to Unpair your Watch from Iphone
To be honest, it’s a lot simpler if you have both the watch and the connected iPhone at hand.
That’s because the majority of Apple Watches are activated through Apple’s activation lock via the connected iPhone and iCloud’s Find My app.
By requiring your Apple credentials (Password & ID), activation lock restricts other people from accessing your Watch and assists you in locating it if it goes missing.
Fortunately, the unpairing procedure deletes your Apple Watch, deactivates Activation Lock, and also removes the Watch from your iCloud account.
Additionally, when you disconnect your iPhone from your Apple Watch, Apple generates your watch’s a free backup. This backup may be used to recover the data on your watch.
Easy Steps: Unpair your iPhone Watch Via Watch App
Connect your iPhone and Apple Watch to their respective chargers OR ensure that each device has at least 50% of its battery’s capacity available.
Bring your iPhone and Apple Watch into close proximity. Instead of meters/feet, we suggest using inches or centimetres.
- On your connected iPhone, tap on Apple Watch app.
- From your screen’s top, select the My Watch option and then press All Watches.
- Tap the info icon “i” which appears next to your Watch’s name that is to be unpaired.
Tap on Unpair Apple Watch
- Choose whether to retain or cancel your cellular subscription for Apple Watches equipped with Cellular services & GPS
- If you want to connect your iPhone and Apple Watch once again, maintain your current plan.
- Remove your plan if you do not want to connect your iPhone and Apple Watch again.
- Tap to affirm that you want to dissociate the two devices
- If prompted, enter your Apple credentials to deactivate the iCloud Activation Lock on your Watch.
- Apple automatically makes your watch’s backup throughout the unpairing procedure. If desired, you may recover your data using this backup. Alternatively, you may start again without restoring the backup–the decision is yours.
- Following the unpair of your Watch, you will get the Start Pairing notification on your Apple watch.
Is your iPhone missing? No worries! You can still unpair
In case you have no access to your iPhone anymore, you can still know how to unpair Apple Watch without a phone. You just have to navigate a series of different procedures.
When your watch operates on Watch OS 2 or later (in the majority of the cases), Apple automatically activates the Apple Watch’s, Activation Lock. Whenever you unpair your Apple Watch with its associated iPhone, the procedure disables Activation Lock and deletes the watch from your iCloud account/Apple ID.
However, if you do not have access to the connected iPhone, remove it manually from the activation lock.
No Access to iPhone? Here’s how you can unpair your iPhone Watch
To know how to unpair Apple Watch without iPhone, it is critical to follow these instructions sequentially! Always erase it and afterward from the activation lock remove it.
- Tap on Settings > Go to General > Tap on Reset > Tap on Erase All Content and Settings on your Apple Watch.
- Scroll to the bottom and hit Erase All. Additionally, with GPS + Cellular devices, you may select to retain or cancel your cellular plan.
- If you want to repair your iPhone and Apple Watch, select the “Erase All & Keep Plan” option.
- Allow Apple to “erase” your Apple Watch.
- After erasing your Apple Watch, turn it off.
- Utilize the Find My app on a device that is logged in with the same ID
- If you’re using the website, select the “Find My iPhone” application.
- Select the “All Devices or Devices”
- Select your Apple Watch
- Now tap on “Remove from Account”
- Scroll down in “Find My app” and hit “Remove This Device”.
- Tap the x button which is next to your Apple Watch’s name on the webpage to delete it.
- If you do not see an option to delete it, ensure that your Apple Watch is turned off.
Apple disables Activation Lock when you remove your watch. Anyone else will be able to connect the Watch with their iPhone, if you disable the activation lock. Also, you won’t be able to trace it.
Apple Watch Stolen? Here’s how you can unpair it
If you’ve lost your Apple Watch, then you can indeed unpair it via your iPhone using a slightly different set of procedures.
Kindly follow these instructions sequentially. Before deleting it from the activation lock, always remove it.
- You can either use “Find My app” on your iPhone or a device that is signed in with the same ID
- If you’re using the website, touch to launch the Find iPhone application.
- Choose the “Devices tab”
- Select your “Apple Watch”
- Select “Erase This Device” or select “Erase Apple Watch”
- Confirm your selection by clicking “Continue” or “Next”, and then wait until your watch is erased by Apple.
- Once you’ve confirmed that you’ve deleted the watch, you’ll want to remove it from your Apple ID and iCloud account.
- Tap the “x” icon which is beside your Watch’s name on the iCloud Find My Website to delete it.
- Select “Remove This Device” in the Find My app.
- Tap “Remove” to confirm that you wish to permanently remove the Watch from your iCloud account and Apple ID and disable the activation lock.
- Remember that when Apple disables Activation Lock on a device, you can no longer track it and others may connect the watch with another iPhone.
- Restart your connected iPhone if it is with you.
- Navigate to “Settings” and go to “Bluetooth”.
- If the Apple Watch is listed, choose it, and if you see the option “Forget This Device”, tap on it.
- Following that, launch the Watch application.
- At your screen’s top, choose the “My Watch” option and then press “All Watches”.
- If your watch is still visible, touch the “i” information button next to your Apple Watch’s name.
- Tap on “Unpair Apple Watch” and then follow the directions on the screen.
Unpairing the Watch: What’s the purpose?
When you disconnect your Watch from the iPhone with which it is connected, you restore it to factory settings.
That is, unpairing your Apple Watch deletes all data.
When you disconnect your Watch from your iPhone, a backup of your data is automatically created on your Apple Watch before deleting it. You may restore your Apple Watch’s data using this backup or any prior backup.
Additionally, whether you back up your iPhone to Finder, iTunes, or iCloud, those backups include your Apple Watch.
If you take your Apple Watch out of the range or disconnect it, your Apple Watch backup may not include the most recent data.
Does unpairing the Watch delete all the data?
Unpairing your Apple Watch deletes all data from it–but not permanently!
While unpairing, your Apple Watch does actually delete all data on it, however, when you unpair it using your iPhone’s Watch App, a backup of its data is generated immediately.
After that, you may connect a new Apple Watch or the same Apple Watch to restore the backup.
Thus, the device has been deleted. However, as long as you continue to use the Watch app on your iPhone, you will not lose any data because the Watch app creates a full backup of your data.
However, as discussed earlier, if you unpair your Watch while you are out of range or not carrying your iPhone, Apple will be unable to backup your Apple Watch to your iPhone. As a result, you lose any data generated since the last time you backed up your watch.
Does unpairing also delete text messages?
As with the last answer, when you unpair your Apple Watch, everything on it is deleted, including all messages—but just from the Apple Watch.
Whenever you unpair your Apple Watch, it does not destroy, erase, or delete ANY of the messages saved on your iCloud, iPhone or any other device that shares your Apple ID.
Dissociating your Watch from your lost iPhone: Is it possible?
If your iPhone has been stolen or misplaced, you should follow the instructions in the section under “How to unpair your Apple Watch without your iPhone.”
Prior to beginning, visit Apple’s iCloud website and utilise Find My to designate your iPhone as Lost or remotely delete it using Find My.
Go to the “Settings” option and then tap on “Reset”. Now tap on “Erase All Content and Settings” and tap “Erase all” on your Apple Watch. The Erase All feature restores your Apple Watch to its factory default settings.
Pair your Watch with your replacement iPhone once that is complete.
Additionally, you may remotely wipe your watch through the iCloud website or the Find My app.
Because you did not use the Watch app to unpair your Apple Watch, you won’t be able to create a backup of your recent data and watch settings. Look for accessible earlier backups to restore to or reset your watch to factory settings.
Unpairing iPhone with a stolen or lost Apple Watch
To begin, if you just lost your Apple Watch or think it has been stolen by someone, use the Find My app to find it or set it to lost mode.
If you’ve attempted to locate your missing watch but come to the conclusion that it is permanently lost/stolen, you’ll want to first wipe it and then afterwards unpair it from your iCloud account, Apple ID, and iPhone.
Erase an Apple Watch that has been lost or stolen
- Open the Find My app
- Select the lost Apple Watch from the Devices
- Select Erase This Device
After deleting, reconnect your lost Watch.
- Now open the Apple Watch app on your connected iPhone.
- Select My Watch at the top of the screen, then press All Watches.
- Tap Unpair Apple Watch after selecting your lost Apple Watch.
How can I determine whether my Apple Watch’s Activation Lock is enabled?
- On your connected iPhone, launch the Apple Watch app.
- Select the My Watch option.
- Select All Watches from the menu bar from your screen’s top
- Tap the “i” information icon next to the name of your Apple Watch.
- If you can see Find My Apple Watch, your watch’s Activation Lock has been activated.