Suppose you have been seeing this absurd ad on your browser that you want to show to your friends, but it comes and goes on its own time. What would you do? You will capture the screenshot, right? That was just an example of how useful screenshots can be.
Like on phones, a screenshot is a vital feature for laptops. But unfortunately, not everybody knows how to screenshot on ThinkPad. It’s not that it is complicated. It has so many different ways to take screenshots that oftentimes, users get confused.
Luckily, in this guide, we have clearly explained different methods of taking screenshots on Lenovo ThinkPad so that you don’t have to Google it or ask your friends next time you want to capture your screen.
4 Ways How to screenshot on Lenovo ThinkPad
Following are 4 unique easy ways by which you can take screenshots on Lenovo ThinkPad. All of them are useful and will give you the same results.
Method No 1 – How to capture the entire screen
To capture the entire screen, do the following steps:
- Open your Lenovo ThinkPad and go to any page or website you want to take a screenshot of.
- Once there, press and hold ‘prt scr’ button to capture the whole screen
- Doing so will automatically save that screenshot onto your clipboard. Press ‘ctrl +V’ to paste the screenshot to your document or image editor.
Note: If you just want to save your screenshot directly, just press ‘ctrl + S’ simultaneously and it will be done.
Method No 2 – How to capture an Active Window
If you want to share what’s happening on your active window with your friend for any reason, just check out the steps below:
- Locate that window you want to capture and share it with your friend
- Once there, press ‘alt + prt scr’ simultaneously to take the screenshot
- Next, open your word document/Docx/paint to paste the screenshot by pressing ‘ctrl + V’
Note: If you want to save the screenshot only to your hard drive, then just press ‘ctrl + S’ and it will get saved to the drive.
Method No 3: How to take a custom screenshot
When you take a screenshot of a certain part of your window or page, it is called a custom screenshot. This feature is only available in windows 10 or above, so if your laptop is not updated, do it asap to begin using this option.
- Open your laptop and come to the page you want to screenshot
- Now press the Windows button + Shift + S altogether at once to open the Snip & Sketch feature on your laptop
- Now with the help of your trackpad, drag and select the area you want to take a screenshot of.
- Once done, the screenshot will be saved to your PC. Head to C:\Users\ [Your Name] \Pictures\Screenshots to retrieve it.
So that’s how you take a custom screenshot on your Lenovo ThinkPad. Just don’t forget to update your windows before attempting to use this feature, as all your efforts will go in vain.
Method no 4: How to screenshot on Lenovo ThinkPad using Windows 11
If you are using a Lenovo laptop with windows 11 and wondering how to screenshot on it, just go through the steps below:
- Open Start, go to All Programs, Accessories, and then Snipping tool
- Now select the area you want to capture using your mousepad to take a screenshot
- The selected area will be highlighted, release the mousepad and your screenshot will be captured.
- Now click the ‘Save Snip’ to open a ‘Save Dialog’ where you can select your preferred folder to save the screenshot.
- Press and hold the power button and volume Down key simultaneously to capture a screenshot on Lenovo Yoga.
- When you press both keys together, a flash on the screen’s corners confirms that the screenshot has been captured.
- Now head to your gallery/My Files to view that screenshot.
Note: Unlike ThinkPad, Lenovo Yoga will only let you capture the screen without a snipping tool or built-in image editor.
What is the best method to take a screenshot on Lenovo?
While the above methods will help you take a screenshot, here is a better method than all those. We are calling it better because it not only takes screenshots but also captures videos and audio files and lets you edit and add annotations to them with ease.
Here is how you can use it
- Open the window you want to capture (picture, video or audio). Install the free snipping tool and open the program on your PC. Now come to the home screen and select ‘Screen Capture’ to take a screenshot of your window for free.
- Now use your mousepad and hover the pointer over the screen you want to capture. If you want to take a custom screenshot, drag your pointer and select your desired area.
- While taking a screenshot, you can draw on your chosen area using arrows, circles, text, and other tools. Besides that, you have several other parameters like font size, style, color, or more, according to your preference, with ease.
- Once you have done all of that and want to add nothing else, click the ‘Save’ option to save it on your computer. Head to your media library to retrieve your screenshot. You can further edit it over there and share it with whoever you want.
This is by far our favorite method to click a screenshot on a Lenovo laptop as it not only captures the screen but provides you with a host of other features to edit your captured shot.
Screenshot feature not working on your Lenovo Laptop
Sometimes you are not able to capture a screenshot on your laptop due to underlying issues with your device. Here are some fixes that you can try to make your screenshot feature work again.
Check your graphic drivers
You cannot use your screenshot feature when your graphic drivers are outdated. Also, there is a possibility that your graphic drivers are not compatible with the screenshot feature or your laptop’s hardware. To fix this issue, you just need to update your drivers. If that doesn’t help, check the next solution.
Use another tool for screenshots
This one is pretty simple. If your screenshot feature is not working, check for third-party tools (free or paid). A lot of apps out there offer outstanding features in addition to the screenshot. You can check their reviews and get the one you like.
Get an external Keyboard
It is possible that your screenshot feature is not working due to some issues with your built-in laptop. Just get an external keyboard and pair it with your laptop to fix it. This will enable you to take a screenshot on your laptop.
Update your windows
Whenever you get any updates on your laptop, try installing it as soon as possible because if it’s not done, you will face issues like your screenshot feature not working. Also, not updating your windows will lead to other problems like some apps not working and having limited choices on what programs you can install.
Reboot your Laptop
If nothing of the above-suggested solutions work, you might need to reboot your laptop. Once your device is restarted, refresh and try to take a screenshot. Hopefully, it will resolve the issue.
How to screenshot on ThinkPad using 3rd party apps
If you are one of those who cannot remember the screenshot methods, you can take help from third-party apps that enable you to take and manage your screenshots. Here is the list of our favorite third-party apps for screenshots.
- Install Snagit from the web
- Launch the app and make your account
- Click the ‘Capture’ option
- Select the area on your screen you want to take a screenshot of using your mouse, just as you do for custom screenshots.
- Click the camera icon to take a screenshot of that selected portion
- You can annotate your screenshot or edit it using the app’s tools if you want.
- Once done, press ‘ctrl+S’ to save the screenshot.
Makeup Hero is another known app for taking screenshots on Lenovo laptops. The app allows you to capture, annotate and edit the screenshots as you like. Follow these steps to use the app:
- Install Markup Hero from the web (it is compatible with all windows versions)
- Launch the app once the installation is complete
- Next, press ‘ctrl+shift+1’ simultaneously to capture a screenshot
- You will find a crosshair icon in front of you after pressing the buttons
- Drag and move the crosshair icon to select your target area and leave it to capture a screenshot.
- Click ‘copy and export’ to save and share it with whoever you want.
So these were our all-time favorite apps to capture screenshots on Lenovo ThinkPad. They work amazingly well on other laptops as well. You can explore more options on the internet if you want additional features. Till then, get your work done with these.
All in all, taking a screenshot on Lenovo ThinkPad or Yoga is pretty simple. While you may get confused with the various ways you can take a screenshot, all of them are simple and quick. We have also provided you with proven solutions to fix issues with your screenshot feature, if there are any. We hope this guide has helped you take screenshots on your Lenovo laptop. If there is any confusion, you can take help from this video guide.