Ever since the Apple card was launched, it has taken over online payment methods with its 6 Million plus user base. The reason is, It is easy to understand and offers real-time transactions along with loads of other perks. All you have to take is your iPhone with you to shop, and all your payments will be made through the wallet app on your phone. How cool is that, no?
With its growing popularity, more people are interested in getting it and ask ‘how to activate Apple card on iPhone’. You won’t believe us if we say setting it up is the easiest thing in the world, so we have done a comprehensive guide to clear you on how to activate Apple card and use it for purchases.
Now without any further delay, let’s get to it!
Understanding Apple card
Launched in August 2019, Apple card was introduced by Apple Pay to use right into the Wallet app. For Apple cards, the company has partnered with Goldman Sachs for the card’s financial backend, just like it does for Apple Pay.
iOS users can easily register the card in their Wallet app and start using it for their purchases. The best things about this card are that firstly they are extremely convenient, and secondly, they don’t charge any transaction fees, so it’s a win-win. In fact, Apple card offers users 2% cashback on their purchases. Does it get any better?
How does Apple card work?
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of how to activate the Apple card, let’s first take a look at how the Apple card works. As we said earlier, the function of this card is quite easy. It is a virtual and physical card (by choice) used for online and offline purchases. It is used anywhere where MasterCard works. It documents your purchases and classifies them automatically to show you a complete summary of how much you have spent and where, your remaining balance, and cashback.
You will be given a 3% cashback on purchases via Apple while 2% on Apple Pay, and 1% on a Physical card. Your cashback is immediately sent to your Apple cash balance as you shop via Apple card.
How to activate Apple card?
To activate an Apple card, you need to make sure that you have an iPhone or a newer version with the latest iOS downloaded. To check which iOS you have installed on your phone, go to the Settings app>General>Software Update>. There you will see which iOS you are running on your phone right now.
Follow the instructions below to sign up for the Apple card:
- Unlock your phone and open the ‘Wallet’ app by searching using the search bar
- Find the ‘+’ icon on the top right corner of the app
- A pop-up will appear ‘Add Cards to Wallet’ tap ‘Continue’ and keep going
- Select an Apple card from the present payment methods
- Next, Apple will automatically fill up most of your information using your Apple ID. You just need to cross-check and provide your SSN and annual income and check the box for accepting terms and conditions.
- Soon, you will receive your offer with a credit card limit and interest rates. Accept your Apple card to see your Apple card account.
Once you finish setting up your Apple card, it will ask you to set it as your default card. If you accept that, your Apple card will be activated for all your contactless payments, both online and offline purchases. Also, during the activation process, you will also be asked to get a physical card if you wish to use it in offline stores. So do it as your preference.
How to get a Physical Apple card?
During the Apple card application process, there comes a step when the app asks you to apply for a physical card. A physical card will be delivered to your home if you accept that. However, if you refuse that offer and wish to get a physical card at a later time, follow these steps:
- Unlock your iPhone and head to the Wallet app
- Select your Apple card
- Click on ‘More’
- Scroll down and tap ‘Get Apple card’ under the ‘Physical Card’ option
- Follow the on-screen instructions and cross-check your shipping address to receive your card.
Soon the card will be delivered to your home via FedEx or UPS service. Ideally, the entire procedure takes around 6 to 8 days.
Activating your Apple card
Once you have signed up and received your card, let’s move on to the next step, activating your Apple card.
- Open the Wallet app and choose ‘Apple card’
- Select ‘More’
- Go to the Physical Card option and tap ‘Activate your card’
Those who want to link their debit cards to the Apple Wallet can do the following:
- Open the Wallet app and tap on ‘Add’ button
- Select a Debit/Credit card
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add a new card
- Verify your credentials with the card issuer
Similarly, if you have an Apple Watch and want to add the same card to your watch, you can use the below instructions:
- Find the 16-digit code on the back of your card
- Next open the Apple Music app
- Head to the Menu and choose ‘Account’
- Now tap ‘Redeem Gift Card or Code’
- Enter the 16-digit code and tap Redeem
That’s how your register your Apple card on your iOS devices. This will enable you to use the card for digital purchases.
Who is eligible for Apple card?
In order to get an Apple card, you must meet the following conditions:
- You are 18 years or older
- Are you a US citizen or a permanent resident?
- You have a US resident address
- You have an iPhone operating on iOS 12.4 or the latest
- You have two-factor authentication turned on
- You are signed in to iCloud as well as your Apple ID
If you don’t fulfill any of the above conditions, you won’t be able to get an Apple card.
How to use an Apple card for non-Apple Pay purchases?
You can use its physical card version when you want to make a purchase where Apple Pay is unavailable. Also, since Apple card is partnering with MasterCard, wherever MasterCard is acceptable, Apple card can be used.
Setting up the physical card is quite easy. All you have to do is bring your iPhone near the envelope in which the card was delivered, for an NFC scan. Then a pop-up will appear, tap the ‘Activate’ option and your physical card will be activated for use.
What is a Titanium Apple card?
Many of you must be wondering if it is a digital Apple card, then what is a Titanium Apple card? Just to clear up your confusion, the Titanium card is the same physical card Apple provides through the mail for physical use.
Since Apple doesn’t do anything regular, it created a titanium card to stand out from the traditional credit/debit cards.
The physical card is made of titanium with your name engraved on it. Unlike other cards, there is no card number or expiry date on the card’s front. Similarly, there is no signature or CVV on the card’s back. It is all plain and chic. The best thing about this card is that even if somebody steals it, they won’t be able to use it, at least for digital purchases.
You will find a built-in chip and a traditional magstripe on the card. Also, if you want to obtain the CVV number, which is not mentioned on the card, you can check the Wallet app for it.
One downside of using the physical card is that it does not support contactless payment. For that, you need to use your iPhone. Lastly, Apple Pay doesn’t charge for a physical card or an additional fee for using it.
The physical titanium card weighs around 14.7 grams which is lighter than the American Express Platinum card and heavier than the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
How to apply for a replacement if you lose your physical card?
When it’s Apple, you don’t have to worry about anything because Apple has solutions for every problem that their customers encounter. Fortunately, you can get a replacement when you lose an Apple card. Here is how to get the replacement:
- Head to the Wallet app on your phone
- Choose Apple card
- Tap ‘More’
- Scroll down to find ‘Request Replacement Card’ under the Physical card option
- Choose a reason for replacement (Note: if you choose a stolen or lost card as a reason, your prior card will be seized immediately)
- Tap ‘Next’ and verify your details.
That’s how you will get your replacement card within just a few days after submitting the application.
Hopefully, by now, you must be clear on how to activate Apple card and use it. We have also provided other details in case you need them in the future. Now activate your Apple card and make shopping easier and quicker!